GTT Vancouver Summary Notes
March 16, 2016
Present: Shawn, Clement, Matthew, Monty, Victor, Louise, Peg, Pat, Fay, Carol, Billy, Curtis, Lynn
• Windows 10 looks a lot like Windows 7 with the addition of Cortana which is the equivalent of Siri for the computer.
• To find out if a program is compatible the best thing to do is google the name of the program and Windows 10l
• You need Jaws 16 or higher, System Access, Window Eyes version 9 or NVDA to run Windows 10l
• Openbook, Kursweil and DocuScan Plus scan and read software all work with Windows 10.
• It is recommended that Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Firefox be used with Windows 10, and it appears that Firefox is the most often used browser. Microsoft Edge is the native web browser for Windows 10, however it is not accessible to screen readers.
• The built-in email clients are not accessible to screen readers either, so Outlook or Thunderbird are most often recommended clients to usel
• Windows Explorer is called File Explorer in Windows 10 and is still available with the key stroke, Windows Key Plus the letter E.
• My computer is called This PC and is where all of your drives will be found, as well as folders like Documents, Downloads, Music and Videos.
• No real advantage to switching from 7 to 10 at this point, and there’s no real reason not to unless a lot of your external devices like scanners and printers are really old.
• You can upgrade for free until July 2016 but after that you will have to pay.
• Microsoft Account – before Windows 10 when you create an account on a new computer it’s called a Microsoft Account. It links to all their services. It’s an apple ID for Microsoft and everything can be tied to that.
• Microsoft has an app store which is not accessible.
• Narrator is Microsoft’s Voice Over, however it is still far behind what Voice Over can do.
• You can stay with Office 2013 because it works with Jaws, as do Office 2003, 2010, 2016 and Office 365.
• Office 365 is a paid subscription, cloud based Office Suite containing all the programs of any purchased Office Suite.
• To access control panel in Windows 10 type the Windows Key, then in the edit field that appears start typing the word Control, then down arrow to Control Panel and press the Enter Key.
• When they developed Windows 8 they tried to make your computer look like a tablet, trying to merge tablet with computer.
• Before Windows 10 if a notification came up a help balloon would come up telling you an update was ready to install. This was hard to find. Now with Windows 10 when that comes up you press Windows V and you can interact with the pop up.
• If your computer breaks and you need to wipe it it’s much easier. Before you had to wipe everything off and reinstall which was difficult. Now you can go into recovery and refresh where it resets your settings and keeps your documents and programs. Anything that might be broken is repaired.
• The other alternative is a PC reset where you erase everything and get it back to how it was from the factory.
• Windows Key plus the Enter Key turns on Narrator which you can use when Jaws freezes.
• With Windows 7 it’s Windows key U to turn on Narrator.
• The first time you do this it will bring up Ease of Access where you set your accessibility features. The next time it will bring on Narrator automatically.
Topic for next time will be NVDA
Date of next meeting will be April 20.