CCB Health & Fitness
Who we are:
The Canadian Council of the Blind Health & Fitness program is aiming to engage, educate and empower persons who are blind and visually impaired to live an active and healthy lifestyle. Managed by Ryan Van Praet, a Registered Kinesiologist, blind athlete and experienced healthcare professional; this program is for every CCB member coast to coast.
What we do:
The CCB Health & fitness Program is your free national resource to leading a life full of physical activity and well being. Content delivered through podcasts, video, email group list, Twitter, Facebook, one on one phone coaching calls; your questions are what drives us.
Choose your LOCAL CHAMPION!!!
Your chapter is critical to our success!
We are looking to create ‘LOCAL CHAMPIONS’ in every chapter nation wide.
1) Designate 1 (one) person in your chapter to liaise with the Health & Fitness program.
2) Promote CCB Health & Fitness initiatives within your chapter, promoting physical activity and accessible sport
3) Convey to the Health & Fitness program all questions, topic ideas, barriers, around health, sports and fitness.
4) ‘Champion’ the cause of a balanced, healthy, active lifestyle locally. Empower your chapter to get up and get moving!
Your body doesn’t care that you are blind – you still require appropriate physical activity and healthy habits to prevent chronic disease and common illness and injury. You don’t get a free pass on the requirements of health!
What you get in return:
- Free professional health & fitness advisor/coach
- Support on advocacy, accessibility for sport, fundraising ideas and more…
- Access to the network for resource sharing
- Local Champions will be part of upcoming Champions Training conference calls and training.
- Knowledge that you are doing your best to promote health & fitness lifestyles within your community.
Designate your LOCAL CHAMPION today and put them in touch with Ryan! Not a huge time commitment BUT a potential to make a huge difference.
Ryan Van Praet (R. Kin.)
CCB Health and Fitness on Social Media:
“Like” us on Facebook (CCB Health & Fitness)
“Subscribe” to our Podcast (The Canadian council of the Blind) on your favourite pod-catcher.
The CCB was founded in 1944 by a coalition of blind war veterans, schools of the blind and local chapters to create a national self-governing organization. The CCB was incorporated by Letters Patent on May 10, 1950 and is a registered charity under the provisions of the Income Tax Act (Canada).
The purpose of the CCB is to give people with vision loss a distinctive and unique perspective before governments. CCB deals with the ongoing effects of vision loss by encouraging active living and rehabilitation through peer support and social and recreational activities.
CCB promotes measures to conserve sight, create a close relationship with the sighted community and provide employment opportunities.
The CCB recognizes that vision loss has no boundaries with respect to gender, income, ethnicity, culture, other disabilities or age.
The CCB understands in many instances vision loss is preventable and sometimes is symptomatic of other health issues. For the 21st century, the CCB is committed to an integrated proactive health approach for early detection to improve the quality of life for all Canadians.
As the largest membership organization of the blind and partially sighted in Canada the CCB is the “Voice of the Blind™”.
CCB National Office
100-20 James Street Ottawa ON K2P 0T6