GTT Edmonton Meeting October 16, 2017
The most recent meeting of the Get Together with Technology (GTT) Edmonton Chapter was held October 16at 7pm at Ascension Lutheran Church 8405 83 Street in Edmonton.
17 people attended.
Reading Tip: These summary notes apply HTML headings to help navigate the document. With screen readers, you may press the H key to jump forward or Shift H to jump backward from heading to heading.
October Topic – Gaming Apps
Blindfold Games Apps
Blindfold Games is an organization offering 71 games but the list keeps growing. There are card games, word games, adventure games, action games memory games and more. Some are familiar like solitaire, poker, Blackjack, Sudoku, a Scrabble variant, a Monopoly variant, a variant of the JEOPARDY TV show, action games like battleship, car racing, horse racing, bowling, football and more. The complete list is on the Blindfold Games web site. They run only on iOS Apple devices such as iPhone and iPad. All the games are free to download from the App store and try but they have limited play time. If you like a game there is an in-app purchase option to buy the game for a few dollars which gives you unlimited use thereafter. The games are 100% accessible audio based designed specifically for blind people.
Audio Game Hub
Audio Game Hub is a set of eight experimental arcade video games that use audio as their primary interface – making them accessible for both sighted and non-sighted users.
RS Games is a web site hosting accessible games for the blind where you play online with other gamers using your web browser.
Resource – Audio Games Web Portal
is a web site that exists as a community portal for all things to do with audio games for the visually impaired. Here you will find news, articles, an active community forum and a database of over 500 titles on platforms from Microsoft Windows to iOS.
Resource – AppleVIS Web Site
The AppleVIS iOS games page has a list of 408 accessible games and growing for iPhone and iPad and you may also want to review the AppleVis list of accessible games for the Mac.
Resource – AbleGamers
AbleGamers proclaims to be the world’s largest charity set up to serve as a resource for gamers with any type of disability.
Next Meeting (Monday November 13at 7pm)
- Eric has offered to demo the Amazon Echo which is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice. Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, make calls, provide information, news, weather, sports scores and more. All you do is ask it.
- As usual, we will provide one-on-one training especially iPhone and DAISY players. If you have other training requests email your interests to us so we can try to accommodate you.
- As always, for help with technology bring your devices and/or questions to the meeting.
Meeting Location and Logistics
- Ascension Lutheran Church 8405 – 83 Street NW, Edmonton.
- We meet in the basement hall. There is elevator access.
- Enter the church from the back door. There is parking at the back and drop off space for taxis, DATS.
- Meetings are every second Monday of the month at 7pm.
- If you have someone helping you your assistant is welcome to remain for the meeting.
GTT Edmonton Overview
- GTT Edmonton is a chapter of the Canadian Council of the Blind (CCB).
- GTT Edmonton promotes a self-help learning experience by holding monthly meetings to assist participants with assistive technology.
- Each meeting consists of a feature technology topic, questions and answers about technology, and one-on-one training where possible.
- Participants are encouraged to come to each meeting even if they are not interested in the feature topic because questions on any technology are welcome. The more participants the better able we will be equipped with the talent and experience to help each other.
- There are GTT groups across Canada as well as a national GTT monthly toll free teleconference. You may subscribe to the National GTT blog to get email notices of teleconferences and notes from other GTT chapters. Visit:
There is a form at the bottom of that web page to enter your email.
[End of Document]