Tech-Ease/ Get Together with Technology
Regina Drop-In Meeting
May 26, 2018
Sponsored by Vision Impaired Resource Network (VIRN),
Canadian Council of the Blind (CCB)
Regina Public Library
Assistive Technology Peer Support by and for people who are blind/low vision
In Attendance: 9 members; Amber, Michelle, Doug, Barry, Wes, Jerome, Lori, Donna, Patti-Lynn
Access 2 Entertainment Card:
– 3 years for $20, 5 years for $30
– Through the Easter Seals Website or Access 2 Entertainment website
– Send in copy of CNIB card as proof to get an Access 2 Card
– The list of places that accept the card can be found here: https://access2card.ca/participating-venues/?province=9
Notes from Michelle “Accees 2 card info. For GTT”
The Access 2 card is for people of all ages and types of permanent disabilities who require the assistance of a support person at hundreds of participating entertainment, cultural and recreational venues across Canada.
A support person is an adult who accompanies a person with a permanent disability to assist with services that are not provided by the employees at the participating venue, such as assistance with eating, administering medication, communication and use of the facilities.
The Access 2 cardholder (the individual with a permanent disability) presents the Access 2 card to a venue.
The Access 2 cardholder pays regular admission price.
The Access 2 cardholder receives 1 FREE ADMISSION for their support person)
Movie theaters throughout the province are:
Cineplex.. Landmark cinima . Rainbow theaters. Magic Lantern theaters.
Places in Regina:
Vendors. Royal Saskatchewan Museum. RCMP Heritage Museum..
Cineplex Odeon Theatres. Southland mall. Galaxy Theater. Or whatever they’re called now. In Norman view Shopping Center.
Rainbow theaters Golden Mile..
Moose Jaw Vendors:
Tunnels of Moose Jaw. Western development Museum…
Fitness on 25th. YMCA.
Western development Museum Saskatoon..
Forestry farm and Zoo..
Western development Museum.
How to Apply:
FILL OUT APPLICATION
Complete “Section B – Applicant Information” (ensuring to check off the “New Card” box). The form can be found below.
Complete “Section C – Health Care Professional Authorization”. This section is to be completed by an authorized healthcare professional. Please refer to Section C for a list of accepted health care professionals…
For those that have a valid cnib client. number. Just a photocopy attached to the application is sufficient.
Complete “Section D – Administration Fee Payment”.
Payment can be made online with a credit card, Visa debit card or PayPal account.
A cheque or money order can be mailed to our office.
Please refer to Section D of the application form for payment details. Paying online is highly recommended – as you will receive your card much faster.
MEMBERSHIP PRICES (2 options)
$20 for a new 3-year card
$30 for a new 5-year card.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
There are three ways you can submit your application: by mail, fax, or e-mail.
Submit Sections B, C, and D.
For all faxed or e-mailed applications, the administration fee must be paid online before sending your application.
Mailed applications must include a cheque or money order along with the application, or they can be paid online before mailing.
There is a spot on Section D of the application form to indicate your payment confirmation code if paid online. This code is e-mailed to you after an online payment has been made.
Submit application online.
CNIB Photo ID Card:
We also discussed the advantages of showing your CNIB card if you ever go to Disneyland as they will allow you a fast pass for the rides.
Saskatchewan Identification card:
Issued from SGI:
– It is valid for 5 years and is $10
– It looks like a driver’s license but the colours are a bit different
– It acts as ID all the places a driver’s license would be asked for
Accessible Games (iOS, unless otherwise noted):
– Dice Games – across the world P2P, works with voice-over, Android & iOS
– Blindscape – an RPG, controlled with gestures on screen, is self voicing
– Blind Legend – an RPG – Medieval themed, kill off the royalty as a blind man with the help of your daughter, the king wants you dead because you are blind and you must live, free game
– Blindfold Games – vast list of games, so many are free and then you pay for them, the list of other games to download comes with the first game you download and you can click links from there to get the rest, Marty Shultz is the designer and he tries to keep things free, KidSolitaire is the company, examples of games in it include: ping pong, pool, car racing, bowling, solitaire, candy crush, etc.
– Audio Games Hub – iOS or Android – variety of different games, you pay $30 for unlimited access to the games, games include: Bombs Disarmer, Simon Says, Archer, Hunt, Fruit Ninja, Tetris, Labyrinth, Bejeweled, etc.
– Trivia Crack – is not designed specifically for blind but works well with Voice Over, iOS & Android, Trivia Crack Kingdoms we have not tested so don’t know how accessible it is
– Blind Cricket – hard to play, but accessible
– Cribbage Pro – is not designed specifically for blind but works well with Voice Over
Notes from Michelle “Some accessible games for GTT”:
– Crafting kingdom
– Dice world
– Blind fold series
– Black jack and solitare. . By Mobility ware
– Zany touch. Or Zany Touch free
– Papa sangra 1 &2
– Blind legend
– Audio defense
– Where’s my rubber ducky. Audio archery
– Mine sweeper
– De steno games
– Audio game hub
– Cribbage pro
– For almost a year now OSeyeris has been working on an Audio game for the blind and vision impaired
– RS Games – on PC or web based – P2P type games – Monopoly, Scrabble, Uno, etc.
– There are a variety of MUD & MMORPG text based games that are accessible by merit of being text based
Physical Games – Games that have tactile or Braille options:
– Braille cards
– Braille Uno
– Braille Monopoly
– Braille Scrabble
– Tactile MasterMind
– Jump a peg, tactile peg jumping game
– Cards Against Humanity has a Braille overlay pack through 64 ounce games, they also offer a blind pack with blind based cards
– Dominoes is always VI friendly due to it’s tactile nature
– Tactile Battleship
– Tactile Chess/Checkers
Announcement from the Library:
– The library now has a lending library of musical instruments, please ask at circulation desk to find out what’s available
– These will only be available 2 week loan at a time
– No mouth piece instruments are available
– June 23, last meeting before summer, we will meet again in September
– It was suggested we go for a coffee or snack as a group, location to be decided, after the meeting
– The topic of our next meeting will be “Year in Review” we will go over all the topics we have discussed since September, please review and bring any questions
– We will also discuss our favourite Podcasts, please send any info you want to share to Amber ahead of time to be read or please prepare shot descriptions of eadch Podcasts to share
– We will also discuss (time permitting) new and interesting technology for blind and partially sighted individuals
– Saskatoon is welcome to join via Facebook Messenger, we will mute the call until we are ready to get started as there was some confusion about that last time
Connect with us:
Tech-Ease YQR YXE (@techeasesk) | Twitter
The latest Tweets from Tech-Ease YQR YXE (@techeasesk). Are you Visually impaired, Related to someone visually impaired, or an educator of someone visually impaired …