A quick primer on how to convert a Facebook photo from your iPhone/iPad containing text so that screen reader users can enjoy the learning/laughter as well. This primer supposes you are using iOS 12.x.
- download and install the free iOS app called Seeing AI. It’ll be your conversion tool.
- With focus on the target photo in Facebook one finger double tap to open it.
- Scroll through the page to find the More Button and one finger double tap to reveal a list of options, the first of which will be the Save Button. One finger double tap that button and the photo will be saved to the Camera Roll in your Photos Folder.
- Navigate to your Photos Folder and locate the last photo saved in the Camera Roll and open it with a one finger double tap.
- With the photo opened navigate to the bottom of the page and one finger double tap on the Share Button.
- Scroll through the list to find Seeing AI in the list and one finger double tap to launch it. It will convert the photo and any text therein for you. If the photo contains a picture it will attempt to interpret it, and in another section of the screen it will present the converted text.
- copy the text to the clipboard with a three finger quadruple tap.
- Navigate back to Facebook and locate the photo in question. You may have left it open when you navigated to the Photo Folder, so locate the Close Button and one finger double tap it. Otherwise, scroll to the original photo and perform a two finger double tap and hold to launch the edit field where you will paste the converted text.
- In the active Edit Field you will spin your Rotor to the item called Edit, then swipe up or down with one finger to find the Paste Button and one finger double tap it to paste the text from the clipboard.
- Once the text is pasted you can scroll to, and one finger double tap the Save Button.
Thank you in advance for making the FB world a little more accessible and enjoyable for blind, partially sighted and deaf-blind Facebook users.