GTT Edmonton Chapter Meeting December 9, 2019
The most recent meeting of the Get Together with Technology (GTT) Edmonton Chapter was held at 7pm at Ascension Lutheran Church 8405 83 Street in Edmonton.
27 people attended.
IMPORTANT: Read the Additional Resources section following the meeting notes to learn about our one on one telephone support, the National monthly teleconference, and the support email list.
Reading Tip: These summary notes apply HTML headings to help navigate the document. With screen readers, you may press the H key to jump forward or Shift H to jump backward from heading to heading.
Thank You for Treats
A big thank you to all those members who brought treats to make this a festive meeting to celebrate the Christmas season.
December Topic – Technology Exhibit
We were treated to a technology exhibit from Canadian Assistive Technologies, a company with over 30 years’ experience providing assistive technology to blind and low vision Canadians. Company owner, Steve Barclay, exhibited some of the latest tech available. Following is a list of what Steve showed us with links to the product description and pricing.
- Mercury 12 digital magnifier from Trysight based on Microsoft Windows 10 Surface Tablet.
- Reveal 16i digital magnifier from Humanware running on an Android tablet.
- Eschenbach Visolux Digital XL FHD portable video magnifier with 12 inch touch screen with scrolling capability and desktop stand.
- WayAround Audio identification tags.
- HIMS Braillesense Polaris 32 cell touch enabled braille display with Perkins style keyboard plus Control, ALT, and 4 Function keys to enable use of Google Android apps.
- Hims BrailleSense Polaris Mini noteTaker.
- HumanWare BrailleNote Touch Plus NoteTaker based on Android tablet.
- HumanWare Brailliant 14 or 32 cell braille display.
Steve also has some good deals at the Canadian Assistive Technologies gently used marketplace which is worth checking out.
For more information on these or any other Canadian Assistive Technologies products, you may contact Steve at:
Steve’s team also produces a weekly assistive technology podcast which is called AT Banter.
Next Meeting (Monday January 13, 2020 at 7pm)
First hour topic is to be announced.
- The second hour is for you. For help with technology bring your devices and/or questions.
Contact our GTT coordinators, Kim Kilpatrick in the East or Albert Ruel in the West to book one on one telephone support.
Kim: 877-304-0968 Ext. 513
Albert: 877-304-0968 Ext. 550
GTT Blog and Monthly Teleconference
CCB sponsors a national GTT monthly teleconference. You may subscribe to the GTT blog to get email notices of teleconferences, meeting notes from GTT chapters, and other information. To subscribe, activate the Follow link at the bottom of the blog web page to enter your email.
GTT Email Support List
CCB also sponsors a GTT email support list to provide help and support with technology for blind and low vision Canadians. To subscribe to the email list, send an empty email to:
GTT Edmonton Overview
- GTT Edmonton is a chapter of the Canadian Council of the Blind (CCB).
- GTT Edmonton promotes a self-help learning experience by holding monthly meetings to assist participants with assistive technology.
- Each 2 hour meeting consists of a feature technology topic in the first hour and a general tech discussion in the second hour.