Narrator Screen Reader Tutorial Podcasts by Blind Vet Tech
Narrator is a screen reader utility included in Microsoft Windows that reads text, dialog boxes and window controls in most applications for Windows. Originally developed by Professor Paul Blenkhorn in 2000, the utility made the Windows operating system more accessible for blind and low vision users.
In the October 2018 release of Windows 10 Narrator’s functions and keyboard commands have been dramatically expanded. We are now at a point in it’s development that it will start to rival the third party screen readers we have become accustomed to using in the Windows environment. Finally, it might be said that PC computers purchased off the shelf are accessible to blind and low vision users out of the box.
The latest version of Windows 10 is the October 2018 Update, version “1809,” which was released on October 2, 2018. The below tutorial podcasts only apply to the latest version 1809, so please check to see the current version running in your computer.
How do I know what version I’m running?
To determine whether or not these tutorials apply to Narrator in your computer you can check your version number as follows:
- Press and release the Windows Key and type the word Run, or merely hold down the Windows key and press the letter R.
- In the window that pops up type the text, WinVer and press the Enter key. Typing immediately will replace any text that might already be there.
- The computer will display, and your screen reader will speak the version of your operating system. If it indicates you’re running version 1809 Narrator will function as outlined in these podcasts, however if your computer is still running an older version please disregard these tutorials for now. Press the Space Bar to close this dialog.
The Complete Guide to Narrator on the Microsoft Windows Help Page:
Click here to access the Complete Narrator’s Guide on the Windows Help Page.
Blind Vet Tech Guides and Tutorials:
Are you a visually impaired Veteran interested in learning more about technology and adaptive software? Have you received a device, like an iPhone or iPad, from a Blind Rehab Center, but require more information on how to use it? Are you a visually impaired Veteran looking for a network of peers to assist you in determining if updating your device is the right choice? If you answered yes, or simply are interested in learning more about assistive technologies for blinded Veterans, the Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides and Tutorials podcast will assist you. Developed by blinded Veterans aiding our fellow peers adapt to sight loss, Blind Vet Tech focuses on iPhones, iPads, computers, other smart phones, and different technologies Veterans might receive to increase their independence.
To that end, BVT have produced a spectacular series of tutorial podcast episodes ateaching users how to maximize their use of the latest version of Narrator. Below are Hyperlinks to each of the Blind Vet Tech Podcast episodes on the web.
Blind Vet Tech Direct Links to Narrator Podcast Episodes:
- Windows 10 Narrator Basics
- Navigating Webpages and Netflix With Narrator’s Scan Mode
- Narrator’s Five Best Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Features
- Activating Narrator
- Basic Keyboard Commands and Navigation
- Quickly navigate Edge, tables, and apps with Scan Mode On
- Learn how to read documents, apps, webpages, and much more with Narrator
Thx, Albert A. Ruel