Hello. This is Gerry Chevalier from the GTT Edmonton Chapter. This weekly blog provides tips that I find useful as a keyboard user of Windows. The information is for Windows10 and Office 365, although many tips still apply to older versions. The tips do not require a screen reader unless specifically noted. Thus, the tips apply whether you are a keyboard user or low vision mouse user. Here is this week’s tip.
Windows External Devices and Auto Play Settings
Have you ever inserted a USB flash drive or SD card into your computer and then had some difficulty opening the media? Windows has a feature called Auto Play that determines how external media is handled when it is inserted into the computer. The simplest method I have found is to set Auto Play to just automatically open the media in File Explorer. TO achieve this:
- Press the Windows logo key to open the Start menu search.
- Type “Auto Play” without the quotes. Windows search results should bring up the Auto Play Settings choice within System Settings.
- Press Enter to open the Auto Play Settings window.
- Make sure “Use Auto Play” is set to, ON.
- Press TAB to reach the Removable Drive item and press Down Arrow to select the option to “Open Folder to View Files”, and press Enter to select it.
- Similarly, Press Tab to reach the Memory Card and Down Arrow to select the same option to “Open Folder to View Files”. Now whenever you insert a USB drive or memory card it will be automatically opened for you to view its files.
- Press Alt+F4 to exit the Auto Play Settings window.
That’s it for this tip. Until next Wednesday, happy computing.