Hello. This is Gerry Chevalier from the GTT Edmonton Chapter. This weekly blog provides tips that I find useful as a keyboard user of Windows. The information is for Windows10 and Office 365, although many tips still apply to older versions. The tips do not require a screen reader unless specifically noted. Thus, the tips apply whether you are a keyboard user or low vision mouse user. Here is this week’s tip.
Windows File Explorer – Delete File Confirmation
When you press Delete to delete a file Windows may or may not ask you to confirm. You can ensure there is a confirmation prompt by doing this:
- Press Windows key + M to focus on the desktop.
- Press R multiple times until you are focused on the Recycle Bin icon.
- Press Alt+Enter to open the Properties of the Recycle Bin.
- TAB to the check box to Display a Delete confirmation prompt and press the spacebar to activate it.
- TAB to the OK button and press spacebar to activate it and return to your desktop. You will now be prompted to confirm each time you delete a file. The files you delete will be moved to the recycle bin so you can recover them if you need to. You can selectively bypass moving the deleted file to the recycle bin if you press Shift+Delete when deleting a file.
That’s it for this tip. Until next Wednesday, happy computing.