GTT Edmonton Meeting September 9, 2019
The most recent meeting of the Get Together with Technology (GTT) Edmonton Chapter was held September9 at 7pm at Ascension Lutheran Church 8405 83 Street in Edmonton.
14 people attended.
Reading Tip: These summary notes apply HTML headings to help navigate the document. With screen readers, you may press the H key to jump forward or Shift H to jump backward from heading to heading. Also, read the last section of this document for information on GTT resources including the National monthly teleconference, support email list, and telephone support.
September Topic –General Tech
2020 Membership Dues
Thank you to those who paid their CCB 2020 membership. 9 members renewed and we had 3 new members. Membership of $10 will continue to be collected in the October and November meetings. We would appreciate if new or existing members can pay in the next 2 meetings.
General Tech Discussion
We had several subgroups discussing general technology issues.
- One small group discussed how to upgrade to a new computer including what hardware configuration should be considered and what are the steps to set it up and transfer data from the old computer to the new computer. Often the computer store especially the smaller non chain stores may be willing to do some of the set up for you. This may be worth it even for a small fee. For example, the store could set up your email, set up an Office 365 Home subscription, and even install JAWS or Zoomtext. Also, it was stressed that purchasing an Office 365 subscription instead of purchasing the Office program is the more viable and economical way to use Office today. You should subscribe to Office 365 Home edition not the business edition. An Office 365 subscription does not mean you have to use the cloud. The Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) can still be installed on your computer and your documents can reside on your computer. With an Office 365 subscription, your Office programs will always be updated automatically with the current versions of those programs.
- Another group discussed how to listen to podcasts on an iPhone.
- There were others discussing iPhone edit mode which allows you to move and group icons on your home screen.
Another person was curious about how to move from an older DAISY CD player to Victor Reader Stream and convert their CELA service from CD books to Direct to Player books.
Next Meeting (Thursday October 17 at 7pm)
Because the second Monday of October is Thanksgiving , we will meet the second Thursday October 17.
- Topic is TBA.
- As always, for help with technology bring your devices and/or questions to the meeting.
Meeting Location and Logistics
- Ascension Lutheran Church 8405 – 83 Street NW, Edmonton.
- We meet in the basement hall. There is elevator access.
- Enter the church from the back door. There is parking at the back and drop off space for taxis, DATS.
- Meetings are every second Monday of the month at 7pm.
- If you have someone helping you your assistant is welcome to remain for the meeting.
GTT Edmonton Overview
- GTT Edmonton is a chapter of the Canadian Council of the Blind (CCB).
- GTT Edmonton promotes a self-help learning experience by holding monthly meetings to assist participants with assistive technology.
- Each meeting consists of a feature technology topic, questions and answers about technology, and one-on-one training where possible.
- Participants are encouraged to come to each meeting even if they are not interested in the feature topic because questions on any technology are welcome. The more participants the better able we will be equipped with the talent and experience to help each other.
National Teleconference, Email Support List, Telephone Support
- GTT sponsors a national GTT monthly teleconference. You may subscribe to the National GTT blog to get email notices of teleconferences and notes from other GTT chapters. Visit:
There is a form at the bottom of that web page to enter your email.
- CCB also sponsors a GTT email support list to provide help and support with technology for blind and low vision Canadians. To subscribe to the email list, send an empty email to:
Telephone Support: Contact our GTT coordinators, Kim Kilpatrick in the East or Albert Ruel in the West to book one on one telephone support.
Kim: 877-304-0968 Ext. 513
Albert: 877-304-0968 Ext. 550
[End of Document]